I just got back from Kroger where I was doing some much-needed grocery shopping. As I was browsing through the chicken section, I looked up and noticed an older man very obviously staring at me. A little uncomfortable, I quickly averted my eyes and kept walking away from him. He followed me. Then, I heard him say, “‘Scuse me, can I be with you for a night?”
Completely caught off-guard and not sure that I heard him correctly, I asked, “…Wh- Excuse me?”
"Can I be with you for a night, girl?"
My jaw was literally hanging open because I was so shocked at the rude and inappropriate nature of his question. I didn’t even hide my frustration and disgust as I said, “…No.” And continued to walk away. He followed me, whining and saying, “Aw, come on… but, baby girl -” And I turned around and said more loudly, “No. Please leave me alone.” And abandoned my hunt for the perfect chicken breast and went to the other side of the store.
This is fucking ridiculous. I was in the MIDDLE of a crowded grocery store. I was not “asking for it” - I was just wearing shorts and a t-shirt but even if I had been more scantily-clad, that’s still no excuse. I should be allowed to walk into the damn Kroger and buy my groceries without worrying. I shouldn’t have to feel unsafe when I’m alone at night, let alone at the store during mid-day.
I’m just disgusted at how so many rape and sexual assault cases against women are dropped based on how the woman dressed or spoke or whatever. I know I wasn’t assaulted today, but the fact that I couldn’t feel comfortable walking around my town’s own grocery store without wondering if that guy was going to be outside waiting is not right. The fact that I was surrounded by people, and not ONE person said anything or even seemed to care about anyone else in that store but themselves isn’t right.
I recently read about a case where six men were acquitted and had all charges against them dropped even after they ADMITTED to gang-raping two twelve-year old girls. The judge’s reasoning? Despite the fact that the girls were WELL under the age of consent, the judge’s statement after dropping the charges against the rapists was, “The girls wanted to have sex.” You can read about it here.
I literally felt nauseous after reading that. I should be able to go for a jog at night. I should be able to take my trash out without carrying my keys between my fingers. I should be able to go to the grocery store alone without worrying about anything. And God forbid, if something awful were to happen, I shouldn’t have to worry that the man who hurt me will go unpunished.
People just don’t seem to understand the significance of this. This society has gotten so lazy and so apathetic. A lot of us don’t stand up for anything anymore. A lot of us are so blind to the fact that things need to change. And not just in regards to women’s safety — things need to drastically change in a lot of aspects of today’s country. I’m so tired of hearing about all of these horribly sad things happening, like the violent riots in London and the man whose husband is being ripped away from him and deported because their marriage isn’t considered “valid” in the eyes of our government — solely because they are both male. I don’t even know that couple nor do I know anyone involved in the London riots, but I teared up when I read about it because it just broke my heart.
Things NEED to change. This society is falling apart because everyone is so prejudice and hateful and selfish. It’s exhausting. It’s heartbreaking. And not many people seem to care. I’m sick of hearing about all of this. I want to do something, not just sit by while it all happens.
So many generations before us saw the wrong things that were happening, and they did something about it. They took a stand for what was right. In 1969, there was Woodstock. Thousands and thousands of people stood together for days and celebrated peace, protesting the Vietnam War. In 1917, Amelia Walker picketed outside the White House for the women’s suffrage cause. In 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. stood up and gave a speech about someday living in a color-blind, equal society.
Why is our generation so comfortable with just sitting in front of the television, not inclined to do anything about the things happening unless it’s directly affecting them? We shouldn’t wait to stand up until something affects us personally. We should be upset for other human beings. We should care that other people’s families are being ripped apart. We should care that unjust things are happening to strangers. It doesn’t matter what you believe - if you consider yourself Buddhist, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic - whatever. Who the hell cares? What matters is that we were all put on this planet together. We should be loving each other. We should be taking care of one another and this earth that we’re so blessed to have.
58 Notes/ Hide
- sirdorkalot likes this
- punkyfemmedreams reblogged this from totalgeek42
- javierat likes this
- inanenotions likes this
- herestomemrsrobinson likes this
- justlikeswitchblades reblogged this from totalgeek42
- broken-accidental-stars reblogged this from aforeignheart
- totalgeek42 reblogged this from thecactusthatfoundthebeat
- jazzmynhowington said: Girl, I feel your pain! I cant tell you how many times walking in that Kroger felt dangerous. But at least you can see by the amount of notes on your post, that some of us really care <3
- siriusandregulus reblogged this from boyinquestion
- sangriaqueen likes this
- brooklett reblogged this from aforeignheart
- bobbymarc likes this
- thecactusthatfoundthebeat reblogged this from brittwytt and added:
- ancientrune likes this
- brittwytt reblogged this from aforeignheart and added:
- aforeignheart reblogged this from thequeentakesall and added:
- aforeignheart likes this
- thequeentakesall reblogged this from boyinquestion
- rainbowmylove reblogged this from cajega
- loldevon reblogged this from heyladyames
- coralina likes this
- kikiisakitty likes this
- cajega reblogged this from cosmopossum
- cajega likes this
- fruitytastes likes this
- doublebakeoven likes this
- cottonbook likes this
- strictlythere likes this
- cosmopossum reblogged this from passions-misgivings-wants
- stumblemouth reblogged this from thenightborn
- heyladyames reblogged this from mothermakemegoldagain
- wanderlust-love likes this
- lalalysha reblogged this from evereverafter
- toolers reblogged this from boyinquestion
- applesareforturtles reblogged this from boyinquestion and added:
- mothermakemegoldagain reblogged this from awplusevn
- spittinggames likes this
- danhollister likes this
- fairyrocker91 reblogged this from someonecallixii
- fairyrocker91 likes this
- awplusevn reblogged this from thenightborn
- nevernotmagnificent likes this
- thenightborn reblogged this from vicsblank
- vicsblank reblogged this from passions-misgivings-wants and added:
- passions-misgivings-wants reblogged this from boyinquestion and added:
- evereverafter likes this
- apoxupon likes this
- musicofthenight likes this
- whatthehellsabaylee likes this